Exercise bikes provide a comprehensive cardiovascular workout from the convenience of your own home. There are a versatile range of features to choose from, including bikes with space-saving folding construction, recumbent seats for comfort and workout longevity, workout data to provide training insight, and integration with smartphone apps to track your exercises.
If you’re in the market for an exercise bike, keep reading to discover the top ten products currently on offer.
Top 10 Exercise Bikes of 2018
Review of Top 10 Exercise Bikes of 2018
1. Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Folding Recumbent Exercise Bike
This is a compact exercise bike that’s packed with great features. First off, its folding mechanism makes it perfect for even the smallest spaces; when not in use, its dimensions are just 52” x 18.5” x 18”. It can be easily stowed under the bed, beneath the stairs, inside a tall cupboard, or in just about any spare corner you have! This bike is also fitted with transportation wheels to help you move it around your home.
Build your strength with varying intensity
Non-skid pedals with adjustable straps grip your feet just right, and the magnetic mechanism provides 8 levels of resistance. This helps you to gradually build your strength and endurance by adjusting the level of workout intensity.
What makes this product different from most of the folding bikes currently on the market is its recumbent seat. This provides additional support to the back, helping you to maintain good posture whilst working out, and it’s also more comfortable than a standard bicycle seat.
Speaking of the seat, it’s adjustable between heights of 31 and 33 inches, allowing you to get a customised fit that optimises the effectiveness of your workout.
Useful workout data
The LCD display at the front of the bike provides useful data about your session, including time, speed, distance, and calories burned. This helps you to understand the value of each workout, and track your progress over time.
This bike is available in an attractive pink hue; a welcome departure from the standard colours found elsewhere. It’s suitable for people up to a weight of 220lbs. This bike is also relatively inexpensive, making it an ideal choice for people on a budget.
- Foldable design makes it ideal for compact spaces
- Adjustable resistance for variable intensity
- Recumbent seat promotes good posture and comfort
- Adjustable seat height and foot straps for a perfect fit
- LCD display with workout data
- Pretty pink colour
- Budget-friendly price point
- Pink accents may not be to everyone’s taste
- Workout data is limited in scope
- Weight limit does not accommodate larger users
People who wish to enjoy a rigorous workout from home without having to find space for a large, expensive piece of equipment.
A budget-friendly compact exercise bike with a comfortable, supportive recumbent seat, customisable fit, and insightful workout data. Whilst a pink exercise bike may not be right for all, the price point certainly sweetens the deal.
2. Merax S306 Indoor Exercise Bike
This exercise bike is strong and sturdy, with a maximum user weight of 330lbs, making it accessible for a greater range of people seeking to get fit. The 22lbs solid chrome flywheel provides stability and a smooth ride, with adjustable pressure resistance to build the intensity of your workout.
A challenging yet comfortable ride
The racing-style saddle is optimised for comfort; no matter how long you plan to exercise, there’ll be no need to cut your session short due to an ache in the posterior! The seat can be adjusted by height to accommodate all leg lengths; it’s also adjustable back and forth, allowing you to find precisely the right fit. The handlebar can also be moved up and down; this helps you to change the intensity of your workout.
The display at the front of the bike provides all the vital information about your routine in real time, including time, speed, distance, and calories burned. You can use the data to achieve your short-term goals, and track your long-term endurance.
Sleek design and helpful extras
This bike has a stunning red and black colour scheme that makes a visual impact. It’s fitted with a transport wheel to make portability easy. There’s also a water bottle holder to help you remain hydrated whilst you work out. The price point is reasonable for the build quality and features included.
- Strong, sturdy construction
- Suitable for people up to a maximum weight of 330lbs
- Solid chrome flywheel provides stability and varying workout intensity
- Fully-adjustable comfort saddle to help find the perfect fit
- Handlebars can be adjusted for a customised workout
- Essential workout data provided on the digital display
- Transportation wheel pre-fitted
- Water bottle holster is convenient for hydration
- Fair price point
- Colour scheme may be too bold for some tastes
- Limited workout data
- Not ideal for smaller spaces
Larger-bodied people embarking on a wellness journey, and those who require full customisation options for the saddle, handlebars, and flywheel resistance.
A beefy exercise bike that will accommodate larger people looking to lose weight and get healthy from home. The adjustable comfort saddle is impressive, and there’s sufficient resistance potential to keep things challenging. Again, the finish may not be right for all, but it’s a good choice for those seeking versatility.
3. Marcy Foldable Exercise Bike
This compact, foldable exercise bike from Marcy is another great choice for those living in a smaller space. It’s folded dimensions are impressive, at just 14’ x 18’ x 51’. It weighs just 37lbs and will safely accommodate a user weight of up to 250lbs.
Find the perfect position for working out
The seat is adjustable with five different positions, providing a user height of between 33 and 36 inches. The pedals are also adjustable, and have straps to help you keep your feet in place whilst you exercise.
The front display provides useful data to help you manage your workout and track your progress; you’ll be able to see your speed, distance, time, and calories burned. The information displayed can form an important part of achieving your training regime.
Buildable intensity for a rigorous workout
To help build your strength and provide a more rigorous workout, this bike has adjustable resistance. This feature can replicate the effect of cycling across different terrains and inclines, boosting cardio exercise and encouraging muscle development.
The Marcy Foldable Exercise Bike comes in an attractive black and silver finish; this design is subtle enough to integrate into any decorative style, which is particularly important in compact spaces. The price point is fair for the number of features on offer, although it is slightly more expensive than the recumbent folding exercise bike above.
- Compact size and foldable design is perfect for small spaces
- Maximum user weight of 250lb is higher than that of competitors
- Strong and sturdy build
- Five adjustable seating positions, to cover a decent range of leg lengths
- Pedals are adjustable and have foot straps to keep you securely in place
- Front display provides useful data about your workout
- Adjustable resistance for variable intensity
- Black and silver finish suits a wide range of home décor styles
- Exercise data is somewhat limited
- Slightly pricier than alternative folding exercise bikes
People living in a compact space, who require the most generous maximum user weight in this category, and prefer a subtler design finish.
One of the most compact exercise bikes on the market, with an impressive build quality for its size. If you’re not partial to pink, this black and silver bike is a better option, and it’s handy for those who require a slightly more generous maximum user weight.
4. Homgrace Indoor Cycling Bike
Spinning has seen a sharp rise in popularity in recent years. The high-intensity cycling workout presents a cardio challenge that is also a great deal of fun. Although classes can provide an encouraging and energetic environment, it may not always be convenient to attend the gym. This is when a spinning bike at home can be a worthwhile investment.
An exercise bike for everyone
This bike is sleek and slimline, with dimensions of 47” x 10” x 33”, and a maximum user weight of 440lbs. It’s strong and sturdy, but lightweight and easy to move around.
The seat height and position are both adjustable, allowing you to find the perfect position whilst you work out, and the foot straps can be adjusted to the exact size of your feet, helping you to stay in place. There’s also anti-slip footing at the front and back to keep you secure.
The features you’re used to finding in the studio are present in this bike. The 17” flywheel has customisable resistance, so you can build the intensity of your workouts over time. There’s a water bottle holder placed conveniently for use throughout your program.
Foam handlebars are comfortable whilst in use, and their position can be adjusted to fit in with the demands of your exercise. The handlebars also contain a heart monitor to help you analyse your workout.
The front of the bike has a large display which provides data related to calories burned, distance, time, speed, pulse and scan. This helps you to plan, perform, and analyse your workouts and build a training plan.
This bike is very reasonably priced, and comes in an unobtrusive white, grey, and black finish.
- Impressive maximum user weight
- Strong and sturdy construction
- The quality of a studio spinning bike from the comfort of home
- Fully-adjustable seat
- Foot straps and anti-slip footing helps to keep you in place
- 17” flywheel has adjustable resistance
- Adjustable handlebars with heart rate monitor included
- Large display with helpful workout data
- Convenient water bottle holder
- Excellent price point
- Workout data is limited in relation to higher-end models
- Colour scheme may not be to all tastes
Larger folks looking to begin their fitness journey, with the scope to build the intensity of workouts over time. Also great for households with people of differing weights and fitness levels.
Bring the magic of spinning home! This bike is perfect for larger people who may feel intimidated when stepping into a gym. It allows anyone to steadily build their fitness and confidence. This bike is also ideal for homes with people at different stages of exercise, as the resistance adjustment can provide a robust workout for all.
5. Exerpeutic LX7 Indoor Cycle Trainer
This bike comes in an attractive black and blue finish, with a silver flywheel. Its dimensions are 47” x 20” x 49” and it has a maximum user weight of 300lbs. The bike itself weighs 90lbs, and there are wheels pre-fitted to help you move it around.
A smooth and comfortable ride
The 40lb cast iron flywheel provides a smooth ride, and varying levels of resistance can be selected to personalise the intensity of your workout.
The saddle can be adjusted in four directions; up, down, forwards, and backwards. This allows you to find the perfect fit for your body. The pedals can be used with foot straps, or flipped over for a more liberated experience. Users can stand on the pedals, as they would in the studio, for an authentic uphill effect.
Helpful data to track your training
The handlebars have differing grip options, and pulse sensors are built-in. The front display provides distance, calories burned, elapsed time, speed and pulse monitoring data.
This bike also comes with an ergonomically-placed water bottle holder, to encourage you to remain hydrated during your workout. A manufacturer’s warranty is included. The price point is fair, yet substantially more expensive than the Homgrace spinning bike.
- Attractive blue, black, and silver finish
- 40lb cast iron flywheel provides a smooth ride with adjustable resistance
- Customisable seat position
- Maximum user weight of 300lbs
- Pedals can be used with or without foot straps
- Handlebars have comprehensive grip options
- Heart rate monitor built in to handlebars
- Essential workout data provided in front display
- Water bottle holder pre-fitted
- Manufacturer’s warranty included
- Price point is higher than comparable bikes
- Although essential workout data is provided, this is nothing spectacular
People who appreciate a very smooth ride when spinning, and value a more sophisticated look from their workout equipment.
An impressive-looking spinning bike with decent flywheel credentials. Not the most generous maximum user weight, but certainly a lot fairer than many. Great for the more serious spinning enthusiast with cash to splash.
6. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike
An upright exercise bike may not suitable for your specific needs. If you have lumbar pain, a back injury, require additional support, or simply find the upright bike to be uncomfortable, a recumbent bike can be an excellent alternative. This model has a generously-proportioned padded seat, with side handles for added security. Its dimensions are 55.5” x 25” x 37.5” and it will accommodate a maximum user weight of 300lbs.
Don’t let the comfortable seat fool you!
The format of this bike does not preclude it from offering a rigorous workout. There are eight resistance settings to choose from, allowing you to ramp up the intensity of your workouts. There’s a screen at the front of the bike to help you keep track of all the vital statistics.
The counter balanced pedals on this bike are fitted with adjustable straps to keep you in place as you work out. There’s also four rubber feet underneath the unit to prevent slipping. The seat is fully adjustable in four directions, so you’ll always be able to find the perfect position.
Feature-packed at a fair price
The bike has a black and grey finish, with attractive pops of orange. Its price is at the lower end of the examples we’ve reviewed, which is impressive given the number of features on offer.
- Recumbent design helps people with additional needs to exercise
- Excellent lumbar support
- Comfortable, fully-adjustable padded seat, with security handles
- Dimensions are relatively compact
- Eight resistance settings
- Screen with essential data displayed
- Foot straps fitted to pedals
- Rubber feet prevent slipping
- Interesting colourway
- Very reasonable price
- Colour scheme may not be to all tastes
- Exercise data is fairly limited
- May be too large for the most compact spaces
People who are differently-abled, have a lumbar condition, experience back pain, or require extra support whilst they work out. It’s also a great choice for people who have a significant amount of weight to lose, and are beginning their fitness journey.
An excellent recumbent bike at a low price. It provides plenty of support, whilst allowing varying intensities of workout. A good choice for people who are recovering from an injury or are starting to increase their fitness levels.
7. Flexispot Standing Desk Exercise Bike
An exciting and innovative design for people who have a desk-based job, but don’t wish to remain sedentary all day. This upright exercise bike comes fitted with a desk space, which will comfortably accommodate a laptop and mouse. No longer will you need to make a compromise between working and working out!
Gimmick or serious piece of kit?
One of the issues with dual-use products is that they tend not to do either of their intended purposes well. In this case, it would be reasonable to expect that the desk element overshadows the usefulness of the bike itself. Thankfully, it doesn’t. The bike provides a rigorous workout, with variable resistance levels to help you get the most out of your exercise.
The seat is height-adjustable, and the pedals are fitted without straps, giving you the freedom to leave your working space without having to release your feet.
Avoid the perils of a sedentary work space
There’s a small screen on top of the wheel mechanism, which displays information regarding workout time, pedal revolutions, distance, calories burned and speed. This helps you to visualise the health benefits of movement whilst working, instead of sitting static at a desk.
The desk itself is strong and sturdy, and will keep your laptop safe whilst you work and train. It comes in an attractive black and silver finish, and the dimensions are 42.5″ x 37.6″ x 22.8″. It will accommodate a maximum user weight of 300lbs.
- Allows you to train whilst you work
- Prevents health issues associated with sitting for too long
- Adjustable resistance to help you build intensity
- Strapless pedals make it easy to get up and complete non-desk based tasks
- Workout information available in central display
- Sturdy enough to keep your equipment safe
- Maximum user weight is generous
- Sleek design with a black and silver finish finish
- It may be difficult to see the display whilst in use
- Some people may prefer to have straps on their foot pedals
- Relatively pricy
People who spend a lot of time working from a desk, who wish to negate the health impacts of a sedentary lifestyle.
An excellent choice for anyone who feels bound to a desk! Products like this could end up gimmicky, but this desk-bike has serious credentials for both its purposes. A decent, rigorous exercise combined with a sturdy desk that provides a reasonably-sized working surface.
8. ProGear 100S Indoor Training Cycle
A snappy design for a spinning bike, with a compact profile that will fit into smaller spaces. Its dimensions are 40” x 22” x 46” and it will accommodate a maximum user weight of 250lbs.
This bike is built for speed and intense workouts. The 22lb cast iron and chrome inertia-driven flywheel can be adjusted to provide the precise level of resistance you desire. There’s a display at the front, between the handlebars, to help you visualise your progress, with calories burned, distance, time, speed, pulse and scan.
Fully-adjustable for a bespoke fit
The seat is adjustable in four directions, and will accommodate leg lengths of up to 6’2”. The handlebars can also be tilted to help you find the workout intensity you need. They also have heart rate monitors built-in to help you track the impact of your exercise. The pedals have foot cages, which provide superior security whilst you train.
This bike has transport wheels to help you move it around, and comes in a black, silver, and blue finish. The price is reasonable for a spinning cycle.
- Relatively compact for a spinning bike
- Cast-iron and chrome flywheel with adjustable resistance
- Tilting handlebars with heart rate monitor
- Fully-adjustable saddle
- Pedals have foot cages for security
- Sophisticated design
- Fair price point
- Maximum user weight is on the lower end
- Some user may want more insightful data readouts
People looking for the spin class experience at home, but don’t want to break the bank or take up too much room.
An excellent compact spinning bike that offers a decent workout at a fair price. Cool colour scheme, too!
9. Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike
Track your progress as you work out
The saddle height is adjustable, and will accommodate a maximum height of 6’1”. Pedal straps can also be fitted precisely to the size of your feet. The bike’s magnetic tension system has 8 levels to select from, allowing you to build your strength over time. There are also pulse rate sensors built into the handlebars.
A front display provides useful distance, calories burned, time, speed, scan and heart rate data. The design is sleek, with black and silver finishing.
- Straightforward compact folding design
- Will fit into small spaces
- Maximum user weight of 300lbs is generous
- Adjustable seat height
- Eight resistance levels
- Heart rate sensors built-in
- Somewhat limited workout data
- Saddle does not have front-back adjustment
People living in a smaller space who require a simple and compact design.
This bike is not all bells and whistles, but it does its job very well. One of its best features is the maximum user weight, which is impressive for the size of the unit.
10. Schwinn 170 Upright Bike
Gym-grade quality equipment at home
There are 29 programs and 25 levels of resistance to choose from, with varying degrees of intensity. This helps to keep your workouts challenging, with tangible progression. The weighted flywheel keeps the ride smooth, with a high-speed, high-inertia drive system.
Useful technological integration
At the front of the bike is a large console with mode selection and exercise data output. Bluetooth connectivity, the complimentary app, and integration with popular exercise platforms gives you a 360˚ view of your training. A USB charger allows you to keep your devices juiced up, and there’s a 3-speed fan to keep you cool. There are also speakers built in to the unit, so you can enjoy your favourite tunes as you work out, without the need for headphones!
The design is sumptuous, with a luxury feel. Its dimensions are 41” x 22” x 58”, and the maximum user weight is 300lbs.
- A top-of-the range model with superb features
- Comprehensive workout options
- Weighted flywheel gives a smooth ride
- Bluetooth connectivity and app integration for insightful data
- USB charger
- 3-speed fan
- Built-in headphones
- 300lb maximum user weight
- Very pricy!
- May be too bulky for smaller spaces
People who will get a great deal of use out of a feature-packed unit, and are willing to make a substantial investment.
If you have the cash to splash, this bike is a great choice. Its feature list is unparalleled, and it oozes quality. If you’re building a serious home gym, look no further for the perfect upright bike!
We hope this list has been helpful for you! Whatever your budget or feature wishlist, there’s something for everyone!